Saturday, September 13, 2014

Metropolitan Museum NYC

 Hello, dear creatives! First of all, thank you! I cannot even begin to describe how much all of your comments on my blog lately have meant to me.  The fact that you are willing to share your encouragement is so inspiring to me.  Being an artist (freelance) is challenging in a lot of ways, but the support of the art community and friends is amazing! It is unlike anything else I have experienced.

Next, from now until Thanksgiving I will be posting about my art related trips to various cities and museums.  It will be my diaries of self-proclaimed expert from the art field :) Over the last few years I traveled all over the world and always made time to visit the galleries, museums, or art studios. As I reviewed the pictures and experiences it has put me in reflective mood and I want to share some of that with you.

Each weekend I will focus on a different museum or a different artist that I admire.  From modern/contemporary to the big (and maybe small) names in art and fashion design... anyone who set out to use the paintbrush, palette, hands and heart to make a creative living.

The first stop is New York at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I just added some new creations to my NYC collection of ongoing illustrations :).   It was such a great experience to see one of the world's fashion icon's work - Alexander McQueen.   Please excuse my silly photos.... I can't help it... visiting the museums and galleries is for me the same experience as a kid in an amusement park ...lol
Have you ever felt like that?
Degas - I think every museum I visited has one of this little dancer
Monet - my inspiration ... never tired to look
Andy ... what a prolific artist! another favorite
We each have an unique way of seeing that which is surrounding us. Depending on where we focus and at what angle can lead to varied perspectives.... so in the same picture we can see different things or meanings.  Some of us focus on details, but some will be looking at the large picture.  I remind myself to take a different view, stand back, refocus the eyes, then come back and look again -  just like this artist who is copying a master in the museum. I spent many years studying and practicing classical art in Russia.  The object in one class was to restore and and copy masterpieces of some of the great, classical artists.   
The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Seeing Alexander McQueen's collection of Savage Beauty was so amazing I can't even describe in words, such a bummer that it was prohibited to be photographed. So, here is a link to the Met article about this exhibit - let me know what do you think?

Here is my old interpretation of Andy Warhol inspired Pop Art style works.... but with my contemporary approach .... maybe I will do more of this Rock n Roll twists in the future....! But for now GN my friends! - xx, Lana

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! It looks like a great museum to visit and it will go on my list.
    Monet is my favorite as well, though I must say I have little knowledge of art ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is all fine, we all have different interest and talents that what makes us all so unique! And the MET one of the greatest museums for sure!

      Delete
  2. Duni, thank you for your comment on google, I don't know what happened and why it is not here:( but it is ok - I'm glad you enjoyed the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this cyber tour of the Metropolitan Museum of Art!! Beautiful art in a beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for taking me along on your trip. I love museum visits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been so long since I have been to an art museum it is almost embarrassing. I am definitely going to change that when I am in New York over the Thanksgiving holiday by trying to visit a few new to me spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes for your trip to NYC and many more great holiday memories dear Jessica!!!

      Delete
  6. Great museum. Looks like it has such wonderful pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a wonderful place to see many original pieces, especially contemporary art. I was so happy to stay in-line with famous actresses to see McQueen collection - best inline experiences of all!

      Delete
  7. I've been there recently...grand experience. I followed the link to McQueen's collection site, that's incredibly awesome, thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I'm so happy to see you here and I would like to see/hear about your Italian experience and see your photos from your trip!

      Delete
  8. I love, love, LOVE that first photo, Lana!
    I think it's great that you've been able to travel and see so many beautiful works of art. I bet it was breathtaking to see the Savage Beauty exhibit. You're so lucky!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kim, the McQueen exhibition was grande expo and nothing else I saw before! Unique and very inspiring. McQueen always started every collection with an idea or a concept for the runway presentation before the fashions. After the concept, he would have this elaborate sort of storyboard with these various references from art, from film, from music—his influences from everywhere - See more at: http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/about/#sthash.xlfun01t.dpuf

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'll try to comment :)
    I wish I had gone with you to visit the museums. So much inspiration to be found! Personally, I have always preferred Degas paintings to his sculptures, but Renoir is my all-time favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky to sharing my art passion with my husband.... but I would like to visit one day museum in Germany and invite you be my host tour guide! .... Ok, Lana keep dreaming :)

      Delete
  11. I love the MET, I wish I could go back.
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun, Lana! I love Monet as well. I recently got to see one of his original paintings in person, I was so thrilled I got a little light-headed!!

    I know how you feel around his work. Goodness, those colors!

    ReplyDelete